Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Asking favours

-          Hey, how ya doing?
-          Hi, Angie. I’m good! Good, thank you, how are you?
-          Great! We’re all great.
-          Barry and the kids?
-          Oh, yeah, they’re great! They’re great too. How’s George?
-          He’s very well. Thank you for asking.
-          So, um... So what’s news?
-          Nothing. No news really.
-          No news?
-          Hmm...No.
-          How the dogs?
-          Oh! That’s news. We have a new addition to the family!
-          Really?
-          Yes! We decided on another Labrador. A gorgeous golden Labrador and we’ve called her Shona, so no more lonely days for Bruno.
-          Oh. Another Lab. That’s great. That’s really great. I’m happy for you.
-          They are so lovely together, the two of them. Who knows, maybe one day they’ll have a few puppies.
-          Yes. Maybe. Great. That would be really great. Er...listen, I actually need to ask you a favour.
-          A favour?
-          Yes. A favour. It’s only a small one. You won’t really have to do anything.
-          I won’t have to do anything?
-          You won’t have to do anything.
-          What is this favour then, Angela?
-          It’s just that I want to go away next weekend and was wondering if you could, er um just in case anyone asks, if you could say I’m with you?
-          I should say you’re with me?
-          Yes.
-          And why would I do that?
-          Because I’m asking you.
-          Because you’re asking me?
-          Yes, because I’m asking you.
-          Angela. I don’t hear from you for months. And then when I do eventually hear from you, it’s because you want something. And what you want, is for me to lie for you.
-          It’s just one small favour.
-          I’m interested in why you want me to lie for you, Angela?
-          It’s just that I want to go away for a weekend with a... um friend and I don’t really want to have to explain to Barry.
-          So how would you explain this to Barry, Angela? That your sister that you never see or bother to keep in touch with is now having you over for the weekend.
-          Maybe he’ll just think we’re having a reunion.
-          He’ll only think that, if that’s what you tell him, Angela. Have you thought what you would say if he phoned while you’re supposed to be with me? Or what would George say if Barry should bump into him and say ‘oh, how was the weekend with Angela and Karen?’
-          He wouldn’t do that.
-          How can you even say that? You don’t know!
-          Please, Karen.
-          Why, Angela? Why would I help you betray your husband? Why would I do that? You have a family. You have children!
-          It’s not that simple.
-          It never is with you.
-          Please, Karen. Just this once.
-          No, Angela. No, I won’t be part of your betrayal.
-          Please, Karen.
-          Angela...

No comments:

Post a Comment